Chicken and Bean Stew
1 cut up chicken, brined
1 cup chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can great northern beans
1 can white kidney beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 bag stew blend frozen vegetables(potatoes, onions, carrots, celery)
- Preheat dutch oven over medium-medium high heat. Add vegetable oil to coat bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After chicken pieces have brined for several hours, pat dry with paper towel. Add to hot oil and cook only until browned. This will probably have to be done in two different batches. (Chicken will not be cooked all the way through. Cooking will finish while in the oven.)
- After chicken is finished browning, remove from dutch oven. Add the chicken broth to the dutch oven and stir until the fond(little dark bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, also know as flavor bits) comes free, about 1 minute. Add the vegetables. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the beans, with the juices that they are canned with, and stir until mixed. Add the chicken pieces and make sure they are submersed in the liquid. Bring to a boil.
- When the boil happens, put the top on the dutch oven and place in oven that is heated to 350 degrees. Cook for about an hour, or until the chicken is nice and tender.