Friday, February 10, 2012

Pollo Loco - Mexican Chicken and Rice

As I was searching for recipes, I came across this one from PlainChicken.com.  I saw the picture and I instantly knew that I had to make this.  This is one of my favorite dishes to order whenever I make it to a Mexican restaurant. 

Pollo Loco - Mexican Chicken and Rice
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 bottle Lawry's Baja Chipotle marinade

3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long grain rice (not instant)
1 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning or Taco Seasoning
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 container Mexican cheese dip

  • Marinate chicken in marinade for a few hours.  Pat dry and cook in grill pan(or on grill) until cooked through, while rice is cooking. 
  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and Southwestern or Taco Seasoning.
  • Stir in onion flakes, tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
  • Heat cheese dip according to package directions set aside.
  • To assemble the Pollo Loco - place 1/4 of the rice on a plate, top with grilled chicken. Pour 2-3 Tbsp cheese dip over chicken and rice.
I made some cheesey refried beans with this as well.  Thanks to PlainChicken.com for having several awesome recipes!  You can find the original recipe here.  I wish that I could have grilled the chicken, as it would have been so much better.  This was really really really good too.  Even the wifey loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment