Traditional Irish Soda Bread
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
14 oz buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a round cake pan.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and stir until it forms a sticky dough.
- Place on a floured surface and lightly knead.
- Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
- Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
- Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.