Saturday, July 30, 2011

Leftover Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Yesterday, I posted the recipe for the Whole Roasted Chicken that I made.  We had a good bit of leftovers because I also made Potatoes au Gratin.  I said that the leftover chicken would make great sandwiches.  I'm sure it would have...but I went another route.  I was searching the cupboards and decided I had enough things to try to make a casserole.  I went for it.  Here's what I did:

Leftover Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
13 oz cooked noodles(I used elbows because that's what I had)
16 oz cooked broccoli pieces
2 cups milk
1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
1 soup can of water
1/2 cup sour cream
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup 4 cheese Italian blend
panko bread crumbs
Boursin cheese
salt and pepper

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 13x9 glass baking dish.
  • In a bowl mix together the soup, milk, and sour cream.  Fill empty soup can with water and add that as well.  Add salt and pepper to your taste.
  • To the baking dish, add the noodles, chicken, soup mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
  • Top with the Italian blend cheese.  Sprinkle a layer of panko breadcrumbs over the top of the cheese.  Dot the top of the breadcrumbs with the Boursin cheese.
  • Cook in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
I, of course, would have added more spices to this dish, but I have other's in my family to think about.  I added ground red pepper to my serving and it was delicious...but would I say otherwise?  Yes, I would.  The smell of the Boursin cheese melting filled the room with garlic and herb aromatics that made my mouth water.  I would have made this with sharp cheddar cheese if I had some but it was good made as listed.  I may even buy one of those cooked chickens you can find in the Deli departments at the supermarket and make this again.  I'm going to try some different noodles, too, maybe penne.  I hope you enjoy this recipe and come back to see What Is Cooking Now?

3 comments:

  1. Ah the benefits of one dish meals are wonderful-easy to make, use up leftovers and present a well rounded meal. This looks like a real winner, nice italian flavor. Simply delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe to use up that leftover chicken! Love casseroles like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use leftovers! This recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete